House to House Anti-Rabies Vaccination
In a preliminary survey done at Barangay Molos, 89 households have pet dogs amounting to a total of 169 dogs in the barangay. Out of 169 dogs that are considered household pets, only 18 (12%) were accordingly vaccinated leaving 151 (88%) of these pets unvaccinated entirely and is at risk for acquiring rabies.
To achieve the goal of having 70% of the canine population vaccinated against rabies.
Through the efforts of barangay officials, Municipal Health Office and Provincial Veterinarians office (ProVet), we were able to conduct mass vaccination in the barangay last November 20, 2017. The ProVet sent 4 technicians to help in the mass vaccination as well as vaccines. We were able to vaccinated 41 dogs and 4 cats during the event rendering 35% of the total canine population vaccinated against rabies.
On march 2018, another mass vaccination was conducted. It was done together with the municipal agriculture office and was done house-to-house to ensure maximum coverage of anti-rabies vaccination. A total of 60 dogs and 2 cats were vaccinated. A pet health record was given to pet owners to serve as proof of vaccination. This led us to reach to goal of vaccinating 70% of the total dog population.
As a supplement to the mass vaccination, last march 2018 together with the Philippine Veterinary Medical Associated – Region IX, a spay/neuter program was conducted to give residents a chance of having their pets spayed/neutered to prevent unwanted pregnancies and control the dog population. Lecture and pamphlet were given prior to the spay/neuter program.